Snmp proxy agent and traps

Started by Rando, August 21, 2012, 07:05:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rando

I have a setup where the netxms server is outside of a network and we monitor several clients servers.  If have opened port 4700 on the firewall.  I have been able to setup the netxms agent on one of the servers to act as a proxy for Snmp that is inside the network.  We then have a second server setup which is just using snmp.  This works fine,we can collect statistics etc and be notified of issues with a specific server. 

The problem happens when we try to send a trap from the server that is not the proxy agent.  If I setup the trap destination as the proxy agent, it does not get forwarded to the netxms server outside the network.  If I set the Snmp trap destination as the netxms server, we get a trap, but it looks like it came from the server that is the agent and not the real server.

Any ideas on how to set this up better?

Thnx.

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi!

Currently proxy agent does not support trap forwarding. There are not much you can do - probably the only option to get correct trap is to turn off source NAT for outgoing SNMP trap packets, if your firewall allows this. Then SNMP traps from server inside remote network should come with original internal IP. I will add trap forwarding by proxy agent as feature request (https://www.radensolutions.com/chiliproject/issues/61).

Best regards,
Victor

Nikk

Hi,

As we increase our network, we have a need to monitor remote snmp devices and it would be nice, receiving snmp traps. Is there any changes on this?

Thanks in advance,
Nikk