NetXMS - multiple config questions

Started by Atavius, April 30, 2015, 12:46:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atavius

Hi,
I am looking for nice monitoring tool that would be able to replace nagios, cacti and smokeping and so far I nailed my search to NetXMS and Zabbix. I like simplicity of NetXMS, but I was unable to setup few things that are must in environment that I will be using this tool, so I would like to ask if there is a way to achieve them in NetXMS:

1. Is there a way to show IFALIAS in interfaces table? Or better to replace interface names with this attribute.
2. Is there a way to quickly filter predefined graphs by name as it is possible in objects tab?
3. Is there a way to automate creation of graphs for traffic on all active interfaces?

Andreas@rc

Quote from: Atavius on April 30, 2015, 12:46:50 PM
1. Is there a way to show IFALIAS in interfaces table? Or better to replace interface names with this attribute.

Yes, server configuration -> UseInterfaceAliases
There are serveral options to use: https://wiki.netxms.org/wiki/Server_Configuration_Variables

tomaskir

1) Since 2.0-M2, you can also see aliases in the "Interfaces" tab, without needing to modify any Server Config Variables.
Or you can use the solution in the previous post.

2) Currently not

3) Yes, use an Instance Discovery DCI, then you can attach graphs to the performance tab automatically
You can use filtering to only create certain DCIs/graphs, etc.

Atavius

Quote from: tomaskir on April 30, 2015, 01:05:41 PM
3) Yes, use an Instance Discovery DCI, then you can attach graphs to the performance tab automatically
You can use filtering to only create certain DCIs/graphs, etc.

Could you please more elaborate? I found Instance discovery and looked into admin manual, but I dont understand how to use this feature.

tomaskir

This assumes node has atleast snmp v2c+ and support IfXTable!
This also assumes you are running atleast 2.0-M3!

Create a new DCI

In general tab

Description - Traffic on {instance-name} - bits/s IN
Parameter - .1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1.6.{instance}
Origin - SNMP
Data Type - Unsigned 64bit Int.

In Transformation tab

Delta calc
Avg delta per second

Transform script:
return $1 * 8;

Instance discovery tab

Instance discovery method
SNMP Walk - OIDs

Base OID

Performance Tab tab

Check to show on perf tab
Give it a title, color, etc.

Then create a 2nd DCI for traffic OUT on that interface.
Use .1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1.10.{instance}

Also on Perf Tab, attach it to the previous DCI.
This is so you get both IN/OUT traffic for each interface on the same graph.

name29

Hi tomaskir,

i tried to follow your instructions.

But if i set the title of the Graph to "Traffic on {instance-name} - bits/s" but netxms don't parse the {instance-name} value.

It's normal?

Thank you

Quote from: tomaskir on April 30, 2015, 01:36:42 PM
This assumes node has atleast snmp v2c+ and support IfXTable!
This also assumes you are running atleast 2.0-M3!

Create a new DCI

In general tab

Description - Traffic on {instance-name} - bits/s IN
Parameter - .1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1.6.{instance}
Origin - SNMP
Data Type - Unsigned 64bit Int.

In Transformation tab

Delta calc
Avg delta per second

Transform script:
return $1 * 8;

Instance discovery tab

Instance discovery method
SNMP Walk - OIDs

Base OID

Performance Tab tab

Check to show on perf tab
Give it a title, color, etc.

Then create a 2nd DCI for traffic OUT on that interface.
Use .1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1.10.{instance}

Also on Perf Tab, attach it to the previous DCI.
This is so you get both IN/OUT traffic for each interface on the same graph.

gmonk63

I also needed this ..  If you go to   Configuration > ServerConfiguration  and change  UserInterfaceAliases value to 3  it will provide you with both if# and if Alias  but it wont change instantly you will have to wait for the next polling interval I believe or you can simply go to the node you want to test on right click  > poll > interfaces names and it should change it instantly

tomaskir

Quote from: gmonk63 on November 10, 2015, 01:02:12 AM

I also needed this ..  If you go to   Configuration > ServerConfiguration  and change  UserInterfaceAliases value to 3  it will provide you with both if# and if Alias  but it wont change instantly you will have to wait for the next polling interval I believe or you can simply go to the node you want to test on right click  > poll > interfaces names and it should change it instantly
In 2.0, ifAlias is in interface table as a separate field, no need to use UserInterfaceAliases config parameter (its for a different use-case).

tomaskir

Quote from: name29 on November 09, 2015, 10:55:28 PM
Hi tomaskir,

i tried to follow your instructions.

But if i set the title of the Graph to "Traffic on {instance-name} - bits/s" but netxms don't parse the {instance-name} value.

It's normal?

Thank you
Which NetXMS version are you using?
What does a walk on .1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1.1 show?

name29

Now i'm trying 2.0-RC2 and it's work.

Thank you.

Emanuele

troffasky

Quote from: tomaskir on November 10, 2015, 01:12:02 PM
Quote from: name29 on November 09, 2015, 10:55:28 PM

Which NetXMS version are you using?
What does a walk on .1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1.1 show?

I'm having this exact problem with 2.0rc2. I have created a template pretty much as described in this thread, appled it to an Ubiquiti Edgeswitch and on the perfomance tab I now have ~30 graphs called "Traffic on {instance-name}".

What parameters are supported in the Title field? I would like to add the ifAlias as well, if possible.
What did name29 do to get it working?
Walk from the above OID looks like this:

.1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1.1.1 [STRING]: 0/1
.1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1.1.2 [STRING]: 0/2
.1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1.1.26 [STRING]: 0/26
.1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1.1.65 [STRING]: CPU Interface:  5/1
.1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1.1.66 [STRING]: 3/1
.1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1.1.71 [STRING]: 3/6

troffasky

Solved it - changed {instance-name} to {instance} and it works...although it's not quite what I'd expected. {instance} should be the ifIndex rather than the ifName, surely?

troffasky