Can't get Switch Forwarding Database on Cisco 2960

Started by tivanni, May 15, 2013, 08:03:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tivanni

Hi,

i have several Cisco 2960 with IOS  Version 12.2(55)SE3. Several host are connected to the port of the switch and this host are present as node on Netxms.
But if i show the interface tab of the Window Details object of the Cisco 2960, i can't see the Peer Mac or the Peer Host of any of this access port.
The only host i can see connected to the interface of the 2960 are the ciscos 4500 that are the core of the network .
I show the switch forwarding table of the 2960 and nobody of the mac of the end user connected to the switch are showed. The only mac address i see in the switch forwarding table are mac of other switch(i think this information is retrived by netxms throught CDP)-
In another area of the network, i have the same network architecture but with Hp Procurve instead of Cisco 2960: in this case in the switching forwarding table are present all mac address of the user connected and the tool "Find switch port" works on the node connected to the HP.
How can i fix this issue?Maybe for the 2960 netxms don't use correct oid for retrive the switch forwarding table?

Thank you in advance for the help

tivanni

I see that the value displayed in the "switch forwarding table" are retrived in the dot1dTpFdbTable oid of the switch...The problem is that in this snmp table there aren't the mac addressess of the host connected to switch :(
Is there something i have to configure on the switch to fix the problem? Or, is there any other snmp table i have to check to examine to found the correct mac address of the end user?

Thank you!

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi!

Can you check please what driver was selected for these switches? Cisco has very specific way of providing MAC address table for VLANs other then VLAN 1, so this may be the case. Catalyst driver supposed to handle this, but maybe there are bugs in the driver, or correct driver was not selected at all.

Best regards,
Victor

tivanni

Hello Victor!
Yes i see that Cisco use community string indexing for access VLAN others then VLAN1 (using the form community@VLAN-ID)...In fact if I use as Netxms community "my_community@my_vlan" i can see the mac address of the end user connected to the switch.
How can i check the driver?What is the correct driver?
Thank you so much.

tivanni

I've upgrade to version 1.2.7 but nothing change, only mac-address on vlan 1 are detected.

At startup i see this driver loaded:
[22-May-2013 12:02:21.542] Network device driver "NETSCREEN" loaded successfully
[22-May-2013 12:02:21.542] Network device driver "DLINK" loaded successfully
[22-May-2013 12:02:21.542] Network device driver "CATALYST-GENERIC" loaded successfully
[22-May-2013 12:02:21.542] Network device driver "BAYSTACK" loaded successfully
[22-May-2013 12:02:21.542] Network device driver "ERS8000" loaded successfully
[22-May-2013 12:02:21.542] Network device driver "CISCO-ESW" loaded successfully
[22-May-2013 12:02:21.542] Network device driver "PROCURVE" loaded successfully
[22-May-2013 12:02:21.543] Network device driver "CATALYST-2900XL" loaded successfully
[22-May-2013 12:02:21.543] Network device driver "DELL-PWC" loaded successfully
[22-May-2013 12:02:21.543] Network device driver "SYMBOL-WS" loaded successfully

I have 2 different netxms server on 2 different network area and no one of this can get the mac address correctly from 2960.

Thank you for the help.

tivanni

PS:I see that the driver used are "Catalyst Generic".

Sorry for this huge quantity of message ^^

Victor Kirhenshtein

Don't have time to look into it in details yet. Hopefully will be able to work on it this week. I have similar report in Russian forum, so you are not alone with this problem :)

Best regards,
Victor

tivanni

Thank you Victor for you constant support! I'm waiting with confident.

Bye,

Giovanni